I'm active duty military myself. I went online and combined a few sample birth plans into one for my family. Here's a few of the sites I used. I also copied my plan below. I took it into my OB and everything was cleared. Tricare should pay for everything that occurs during the birth/postpartum period except for food as long as your OB writes it up as a "doctor ordered" need.
First Stage (Labor):
1) I want to stay at home as long as I can.
2) I only want my spouse and the minimal amount of nurses/doctors in the birthing room.
3) I prefer to have low lighting, low noise with my classical/country music playing, with minimal medical checks.
4) I want no video/filming, only our personal camera for still photography.
5) I want to wear my own clothing for the birth.
6) I prefer to use external fetal monitoring.
7) I want to change positions/move around/use a birthing ball as I feel the need to.
8) I want to be able to eat and drink as needed.
9) I do not want any pain medications to be offered. I do not want to use any pain medication.
10) I do not want to be induced unless there is an issue with the baby.
11) I want my membranes/water to rupture naturally.
Second Stage (Birth):
1) I want only my spouse and as few nurses/doctors in the birthing room as possible.
2) I want to use whatever birthing position works best for me and the baby.
3) I want labor to progress naturally. I do not want to be pressured to meet timelines. As long as the baby is ok I want no intervention.
4) I prefer to tear naturally. I want to use counter pressure w/ compress to avoid/minimize tearing.
5) I want minimal medical assistance during birthing.
6) I want to avoid a Cesarean unless absolutely medically required. If it is needed:
a) I want my spouse present.
b) I want to be conscious.
c) I want someone to explain the surgery as its happening.
d) I want one had free to touch the baby.
e) I want my spouse to cut the cord.
f) I want to begin breastfeeding immediately.
g) I want my spouse to stay with the baby.
Third Stage (postpartum):
1) I want my spouse to catch the baby.
2) I want my spouse to cut the cord.
3) I want the baby placed on my stomach immediately and as much care possible provided while he remains there.
4) I want me or my spouse to be with the baby at all times.
5) I want to delay eye medication, vitamin K injection and vaccines until the baby is taken to the nursery.
6) I want to begin breastfeeding immediately.
7) I want my baby circumcised using pain medication.
In the event of a medical problem:
1) I want to begin breastfeeding as soon as possible. Until that time I want to pump for my baby.
2) I want unlimited visitation for my spouse and I.
3) I want to be moved with the baby, if necessary, to another hospital or released so I can join my baby ASAP.
Married 29 Dec 2009
Dustin arrived 17 May 2010